Lawyers specialising in medical negligence
What are lawyers specialising in medical negligence?
Making a claim for compensation of any kind can be a heavy responsibility. When someone has been let down by a healthcare professional they felt they could trust, and has suffered harm as a result, it can have an impact that affects them physically, emotionally and financially.
As specialist medical negligence solicitors, we understand how devastating it can be to be let down in this way. We make every effort to support claimants on the long and often-complicated journey to prove that a negligent act took place. To do that we must establish that:
- The patient received substandard care from a healthcare professional (a breach of the duty of care)
- The patient suffered pain, injury, loss or damage as a result
- This harm was directly caused by this substandard medical care
What Are The Time Limits For Making A Medical Negligence Claim?
You usually need to start a medical negligence claim within three years of finding out you’ve received negligent treatment (you may not realise straight away but only after your injury or illness becomes worse).
However, there are a couple of exceptions to this rule:
- Children – medical negligence claims involving a child can be made any time before your child turns 18. On your child’s 18th birthday the three year rule comes into effect, so a claim needs to be started before they turn 21.
- Mental Capacity – if a person lacks the capacity to make a claim themselves, there’s no time limit for making a claim.
If a doctor, hospital or other healthcare facility has failed you in their duty of care, and caused you medical negligence as a result of that breach, then you may be entitled to compensation.
This can be proven by providing evidence, which can include anything from medical records and photographs to testimony from medical professionals.
Medical negligence claims often involve complex legal procedures.
To ensure you receive a fair amount of damages, we recommend speaking with a personal injury claim lawyer specialising in accident and medical negligence claims who can help you get the compensation you deserve.
We’ve provided answers to some of the most common questions to help you.