A MUNSTER resident has warned dog owners not to allow their pets to eat from the ground after her four-year-old Tenterfield terrier became seriously ill after eating marijuana last week.
Marie Anderton believes Trixie ate a biscuit laced with the illegal drug while walking through Hagan Park last Thursday afternoon.
Mrs Anderton said that when Trixie became “wobbly on her feet” and shied away from her hand, she took her to the vet who sent her straight to Murdoch University’s animal hospital, who confirmed the dog had been poisoned.
An overnight vet’s bill cost $1000 and Mrs Anderton said she was glad she had pet insurance, but warned that the outcome could have been more serious and expensive in an older dog.
Murdoch University pet emergency centre veterinarian Mark Lawrie confirmed the diagnosis, and said another dog had also been treated for marijuana ingestion on the same day.