THE State Government has stumped up $14 million to complete an upgrade of a 7.9km section of Gnangara Road.
Premier Colin Barnett and Transport Minister Troy Buswell committed to the upgrade from Alexander Drive to Pinaster Parade over the next three years in an announcement on Thursday.
The move to make most of Gnangara Road a dual carriageway followed a long battle by residents, the City of Swan and local politicians to upgrade the major throughfare – considered one of the most dangerous in the Perth metropolitan area.
The intersection of Gnangara and Beechboro roads was recently listed at number five in the State in RAC’s 2012 list of Westerna Australia’s worst intersections.
Mr Buswell said the State Government had already provided almost $7 million to assist the City of Swan in providing a dual carriageway for Gnangara Road between Beechboro Road and Drumpellier Drive.
“This latest funding will see a dual carriageway constructed between Alexander Drive and Beechboro Road, completing the dualling from Pinaster Parade to Alexander Drive,” he said.
“It’s been a long-term aspiration for the people in the area. This is the last piece in the puzzle,” he said.
Mr Barnett said traffic volume on Gnangara Road exceeded25,000 vehicles a day between Ellenbrook and Alexander Drive and there had been 300 crashes in the past five years on the narrow, ageing road.
“This road is a significant east-west link, providing an important regional connection between Joondalup and Ellenbrook and an alternative north-south link, via Alexander Drive, to Morley and Perth,” Mr Barnett said.
“When I was here two months ago for a community forum, there was no doubt dualling Gnangara Road was the number one priority for Ellenbrook people.”
City of Swan Mayor Charlie Zannino said the Government funding would provide the City with enough cash to upgrade almost the entire length of Gnangara Road.
“The upgrade will improve safety for all road users as the congestion is eased.”
Swan Hills MLA Frank Alban, who had lobbied the Government for funding to upgrade the road for more than four years, was delighted.
“This is the final chapter of what is a natural progression in making this road safer for everyone,” Mr Alban said. “It’s a great result for everyone in this region.”
West Swan Labor MLA Rita Saffioti said it was disappointing the Barnett Government did not think a dual carriageway east of Pinaster Parade was required.
“WA Labor will prioritise the need to complete a dual carriageway east of Pinaster Parade to West Swan Road, as this is an important part of the overall project,” she said.